You can pick up gutter guards just about anywhere in the Waukesha area, including Lowe’s, Home Depot, Costco, Walmart, Ace Hardware & more.
BUT….before you go all gung-ho gutter guard, it’s important to understand the pros & cons to make sure you have the right solution for your home.
Below, our Waukesha roofers explain the gutter guard pros and cons.
- They can be installed onto existing gutters.
- Prevents leaves, sticks and other debris from clogging the gutters & downspouts.
- Prevents birds & rodents from building nests in your gutters.
- Prevents insects from breeding in gutter water & debris build-up.
- Helps prevent water leakage into your home by preventing water and debris build-up that can cause overflow and subsequent water problems.
- Eliminates frequent gutter cleaning.
- Extends service life of gutters since gutter guards prevent water, moisture and debris from collecting and contributing to gutter rust & rot.
- May not prevent pine needles, seeds and other small debris from slipping through.
- May exaggerate roof ice dam issues.*
- Heated gutter guards are able to be installed, which help prevent icicles, snow and ice dams.
- Gutter Guards are not 100% maintenance free – gutters will still need occasional cleaning.
- Gutter Guards can dent and lose some of their effectiveness, so avoid posting a ladder against your gutters during cleaning or when putting up seasonal lights & decorations.
- If not cleaned as needed, the added weight of build-up on your gutter guards may cause your actual gutters to sag.
Other Things to Note:
Choosing the right gutter guard is critical, as some can prove to be practically ineffective.
Seeds can slip through gutter guards and sprout gutter plants and trees, which can grow up fairly quick.
Gutter guard systems can be expensive – costing hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on the type of gutter guard system and the cost of installation. Gutter guard installation costs will also depend on the square footage of your home, how many levels your home is, and the architecture of your home and roof.
Find more great homeowner tips now on roofing, siding and more!
Reimer Roofing and Remodeling of New Berlin, WI a full service exterior home remodeling company, specializing in roofs, windows, siding and home additions. We serve all of Southeast Wisconsin with most of our customers coming from Waukesha and the Lake Country area.